Senior Software Engineer
Middle • Full Time • Full Stack
Seattle WA, US
What We Do: The Data Engineering Team focuses on building fast, accurate, and reliable access to data. We also build data pipelines and own and support our data warehouse. The team advocates for good data practices and make sure that the many PayScale teams and our customers are able to make good data driven decisions.
What You Do: You will be designing, building and supporting our systems so that the right data is delivered in an accurate, performant, and scalable system.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Sr Software Engineer, a typical day may include the following…
- Joining our scrum ceremonies
- Designing and building new micro-service, cloud native, systems
- Partnering with our SRE and architectural teams to make modern architectural choices
- Supporting our existing services and integrations
- Mentoring peers on best-practices
First Year in Role:
- Month 3: Partnering with your teammates, you have completed a couple handfuls of bug fixes and feature changes. Your changes will be live in production making an impact on our consumer users and company metrics.
- Month 6: At this point, you have completely ramped up on the team with the ability to pick up any task on the sprint board and complete it on your own from start to finish.
- Month 12: You are fully integrated into the PayScale engineering organization and you are an authority in many of the projects, services, and processes that we own. You are mentoring others, proposing designs and offering innovative ways to deliver as a team.
- Over five years of proven experience in building and supporting both monolithic and micro services.
- You can write testable code, embracing unit and integration test concepts.
- You can clearly explain technical concepts to developers and managers.
- You can work with a team of people on sophisticated problems which often times require independent research.
- You have excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong skills in C#, Python, and .NET core.
- Experience with cloud providers (AWS, Azure) and cloud native solutions.
- Strong experience with both relational and document databases.
- C#, Python, Docker, Azure Web Apps, AWS ECS, Kubernetes, AKS, Dynamo, SQL, Elasticsearch, Postgres, and Octopus
- For data warehousing and reporting we use Snowflake, Spark, Tableau
- For ETL and pipelining we use Python, Team City, AWS Lambda and Fivetran.
Meet Your Manager: Joe Davies has over 15 years of professional software development experience, primarily in both finance and marketing. Joe's favorite thing about PayScale is its empathetic environment that helps drive the delivery of a meaningful product which promotes equality. Joe is a proponent of scrum, an opponent of too many meetings, and a manager who supports your personal and professional growth above all else.
Hiring Process: “Change is the only constant in life (and PayScale)” – Heraclitus (okay, so we paraphrased a bit). The hiring process outlined below is a rough overview, and is subject to change based on business priority, interviewer availability, etc.
- Speak with one of our friendly recruiters.
- Speak with the hiring manager, Joe.
- Work on a short, take-home, coding problem.
- Participate in a virtual hiring loop.
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
- Flexible Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays
- Amazing Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity Leave, and onsite Mother’s Room
- 401k which vests immediately, complete with company match
- Onsite bike storage, lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Ergo friendly chairs and sitting-standing desks
- Company-hosted happy hours every Friday afternoon
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us every Friday. WOOF!)
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.