Junior • Full Time • Team Leader
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’re been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving and we’re now launching a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
You will be the Technical Lead for a team of around 8 software and QA engineers maintaining and extending our unsecured consumer loan origination platform.
The platform is capable of generating personalised loan quotes and converting them into a personal loan for our app, website and price comparison sites. We are continuously challenged by motivations in credit risk, fraud, new partner integrations and general scalability that arise from our ambitious growth objectives.
You will be working closely with specialist analysts on a daily basis to help scope and prioritise modifications to the platform.
Your team will look to you to drive and shape architectural and design conversations whilst setting the example on quality assurance, testing, clean coding and review standards.
You will be responsible for the line management and personal development of the engineers on the team.
You will contribute to the wider development of Zopa's tech community by participating in focused groups, chapters and forums.
You will be a member of the out of hours on-call rota for the platform and be accountable for maintaining the Service Level Objects (SLOs) set out by the team.
The platform consists of JVM (Kotlin/Java) and .NET (C#) services, utilising Kafka for streaming events, SQL for relational storage and Redshift for analytics.
We use Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD) practices to deploy our software to Kubernetes. Resilience, scalability, insights and metrics underpin the growth and future success of the loans business.
- You're an accomplished engineer in at least one of Kotlin, Java or C#, and are willing to shore up your knowledge across all three.
- You consider yourself a polyglot. You question the right tool for the job and draw on your existing experience to learn new concepts and technologies fast.
- You are a team player who thrives working in an honest and friendly working atmosphere; we have a flat hierarchy and give you the opportunity to make a real impact.
- You enjoy talking to key stakeholders and understand and show passion for the business objectives of the company.
- You love shipping great products, with positive outcomes for customers.
- As a senior engineer, you enjoy mentoring members of the team around you. Pair programming and peer reviewing is hugely important to us.
- You feel comfortable in a fast-moving environment and are ambitious about the speed and quality of your code. We ship our code multiple times a week with the impact measured in the result for the customer, not lines of code.
- An advocate of test driven development and seeking out smarter ways to improve how we test and verify our software. A strong commitment to quality is essential.
- You like to build new requirements from scratch as much as you enjoy incrementing on existing features and performance.
- You keep yourself up to date with and continuously learn new possibilities in architecture, technology, languages and frameworks.
- You've worked on large scale distributed software systems that have proven scalability and complex topologies.
- Experience with Kafka or any other streams-based platform (Samza, Storm) is a plus!
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.